A cooker, or hob or cook top is the surface used to cook with pots and pans. In some kitchens these are built into the range or stove while in others they may be installed into the counter top or part of a one piece kitchen unit (most likely in an apartment). These units can come in a variety of finishes including enamel, glass, and stainless steel. Some hobs deliver flame from propane and others from natural gas, some electric units also has a stainless steel finish. Stainless steel cookers are beautiful and modern, giving your kitchen a professional and clean look; but stainless steel hob cleaning requires care because while stainless steel does not rust, it does scratch and markup easily.
Never use harsh abrasives on your stainless steel hob. Always use micro fibre cloths, chamois or paper towels for stainless steel cooker cleaning and clean with the grain of the metal for best results. Of course, this also means that you must take care not to put pots, pans or other items likely to scratch or damage your stainless steel hob directly onto the surface. Place such items only on the burners or on a cork mat between them, if you can do so safely.
To make cleaning easier, clean regularly and be sure to wipe up any spills or splashes immediately after cooking.
Step-by-Step Guide to Stainless Steel Cooker Cleaning:
- Ensure the cook top is turned off
- Remove all grills, grates, burners (if removable) and element covers and other removable items from the hob
- For best results, use baby oil or olive oil… cutting grease with oil works exceptionally well
- Some folks prefer to spray with a mixture of vinegar and water
- Or a mixture of warm soapy water
- Use any liquid or oil sparingly, wipe firmly in the direction of the grain
- When cleaned to your satisfaction, use a clean and nearly dry but moist cloth to dry the surface of the hob
- The last step is to achieve the stainless steel glow with a touch of baby oil or stainless steel brightener. Using long, even strokes along the grain wipe over the entire surface of the Hob. Ensure to leave no visible residue on the cooker.
- Polish the surface to a shine with another soft dry clean cloth, again following the grain of the steel.
- Admire your gleaming hob and get cooking!
This method can be used for all your stainless steel, nickel or aluminium finished appliances be it the fridge, dishwasher, microwave or range.