Aluminium is a useful metal since long back. This metal is used for making many kitchen appliances especially utensils and sinks. This metal has a beautiful lustre and looks amazing when craved out in a utensil. But with beauty comes its side effects. Yes! the big problem associated with this metal, how to keep the shine?
Aluminium’s fantastic lustre cannot be maintained without regular cleaning. The reason behind the fading of its lustre is the formation of the aluminium oxide over the surface and cleaning the aluminium surface is a bit tough because improper methods of cleaning can spoil the lustre and can even wear the aluminium out.
There are different methods of cleaning aluminium. Each category of the aluminium product require a different method for its cleaning. For example aluminium utensils have different method and material requirements for cleaning whereas aluminium surfaces require different.
For cleaning the aluminium utensils, various home remedies are used. These include lemon, salt and vinegar. Steps for cleaning aluminium utensils with these items:
- Soak the aluminium utensil in water for some time.
- Sprinkle some salt on the utensil as well as on the lemon.
- Rub the lemon on the utensil in to and fro motion. Avoid using circular strokes. It may leave scratches destroying the finish of the utensil.
- Rinse with water thoroughly and pat dry
- Apply some vegetable oil to avoid the formation of the layer of aluminium oxide
Other methods of cleaning include using cream of tartar, vinegar and hot water. another home remedy is boiling the water having apple peels in the utensil.
Another aluminium product that is required to be cleansed to maintain the shine is the sink. cleansing of the sink is a tough task. Its cleansing require borax. Steps how to clean a aluminium sink are as follows:
- Firstly cleanse the dirt and grime off the sink using a mild detergent.
- Sprinkle borax all over the sink.
- With the help of a clean soft cloth, scrub the dirt in to and fro motion. Avoid circular strokes to safely cleanse the sink.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and dry with a clean dry cloth.
For the outdoor aluminium surfaces we need a mild detergent and Luke warm water. The steps to clean the surfaces are as follows:
- Wet the aluminium surface with water
- Mix the mild detergent with water and slowly scrub the aluminium surface with soft cleans towels soaked in the detergent water
- Scrub the surface in to and fro motion. Avoid circular strokes in order to obtain a scratch free cleaning.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and pat dry.
Another remedies used for cleansing include cleaning with baking soda and in worst cases steel wool pad is also used. These are not recommended IN GENERAL because these may leave scratches, spoiling the lustre and finish of the surface.