Managing a kitchen isn’t just about cooking great food. It also means maintaining the kitchen utensils and tidying them up. A chopping board is one of the most used cooking aids and many people find it very difficult to keep it clean. The chopping boards go through a lot of stains and odours because a wide range of items are cut on it, starting from veggies to meat to cheese. It is very important that you keep your cutting boards clean else you will run into the danger of spreading germs to your food. If you are particular about keeping your family from getting affected by infections and diseases, then it is imperative that you clean your chopping board regularly.
Cleaning chopping boards effectively
Here are some ways using which you can keep your chopping boards cleaner,
- After every use, clean your cutting boards with dish soaps thoroughly. Some of the boards that are made from sturdy material can be put into dish washers as well.
- Salt can be a great cleanser. Firstly, cleanse the board with soap. Next, make a salt solution using water. Dampen a cloth with this water and smear it over the board neatly.
- Vinegar, especially the white one is great for cleaning chopping boards. Use a cloth soaked in vinegar to clean up the surface.
- Prepare a liquid with baking soda and water. Use it for cleaning boards. For wooden chopping boards, you can rub dry baking soda powder over the board surface. You can also add salt in the baking soda solution to increase the strength of the cleaning mixture.
- Lemon is a well known deodoriser and disinfectant. Rub lemon on to the board when you have cut onions, garlic, chicken or meat. This will help in clearing the stains and also you can get rid of the unpleasant smell.
- When you use a lot of poultry items on the board, it becomes tougher to tidy it up. In such cases, make use of hydrogen peroxide. The concentration percentage can be anywhere between 3 to 5 percent. Wash off your boards with plain water first, wipe it and smear the white vinegar solution. Then use hydrogen peroxide on a cloth or a tissue paper to clean up the surface. This doesn’t just make the board neat but also disinfects it effectively.
- If your boards are overly stained then bleaching it is the best solution. Be careful that you don’t use house cleaning mixtures. They are not safe to be used on surfaces that come in contact with food items. Instead, stir up a solution of bleach and water. Take a brush with bristles that are medium hard, dip the brush into the bleaching solution and rub it on the boards. This will clear stains out to a great extent.
Lastly, keep in mind that when you use bleaches, hydrogen peroxide or baking soda, you have to end your cleaning procedure by washing the boards with hot water.