It’s where we keep our food, we want our fridge and freezer to be clean but they do get a lot of spills and vegetable matter in them that need to be cleaned. Many fridges and freezers have removable compartments which make the task of fridge and freezer cleaning much simpler. Generally speaking, this is a task to be undertaken with planning so that you have very little food in the fridge and freezer that needs to be managed while the internal cleaning work is being done.
Fridge Cleaning, it’s an inside job!
This is a big job, plan for some times when you will be able to dedicate yourself to this, better yet, recruit some help to work with you! You can leave the fridge on for this process if you like, or just turn the cooling to minimum the night before.
- First, remove the food, and food waste can be composted if possible. Check the dates on all condiments and jarred items in your fridge, get rid of anything expired or nearly expiry. If it’s cool (wintery) you can put items you will return to the fridge in a porch or garage to stay cool.
- From your empty refrigerator, remove any shelving from the doors, inside the fridge and the crisper drawers. Allow them to come to room temperature for a few minutes before continuing with fridge cleaning.
- In the meantime:
- Half fill a bucket will Warm soapy water
- And fill sink with warm, but not hot, soapy water.
- One shelf or drawer at a time, wash the internal shelving with a soft cloth and dry with a tea towel. If an spot it hard to remove. Allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- Make sure each piece is totally dry before placing back into the fridge.
Cleaning the walls of the fridge should be done with a non-toxic cleaner. An easy answer to safe fridge cleaning is a spray bottle filled with a solution of white vinegar and hot water. For to remove spots, a paste make from baking soda and water should do the trick… or a dab of tooth paste.
- Tough spills like maple syrup or ketchup may best be handled by leaving a hot cloth wet with the vinegar solution resting on them for a few minutes before scrubbing.
- Be sure to clean the walls the floor and the inside of the door of the fridge.
- The light encasement is often removable, and it can be washed with the shelving in the sink.
When the inside of the fridge is clean and the shelves and drawers are dry, put back your food and drinks. Be sure to wipe the bottoms of the jars so new messes are not made in your clean fridge right away.
Note: Always remove wilting vegetables or fruit right away. If you can’t eat or cook them immediately, you can put them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer for cooking another day. Making sure lids are on tight will make sure you don’t have to do this fridge cleaning job again for a while.
Freezer Cleaning, its cool.
To have a clean freezer just follow the steps above. The only difference is that you will need to be sure the freezer is of and as been allowed to come to room temperature for several hours before working.
If you have ice build-up in your freezer, that means you have problem with your seals, probably. You can replace those at any hardware store.
It’s all about the gleam
Depending on the exterior of your fridge, cleaning those surfaces requires different approaches for best affect.
Cleaning fringe and freezer exteriors is simple, any household cleaner will do on the standard enamelled metal units. For those with stainless steel or nickel, try baby oil on a clean, dry cloth. It makes them look new!