When water hardly comes out of your shower head or water starts to spread in all directions, it is time for you to clean your shower head from lime scale deposits. Lime scale deposits are caused due to the calcium and magnesium mineral contents in the hard water. They will damage your shower head and if you do not care it properly you may have to replace the shower head in near future.
Shower heads are of basically two types – detachable and fixed. The first type, you have to remove from the shower for cleaning, while the latter is to be cleaned while it is fixed to the wall. The following cleaning methods will help you to descale your shower heads.
Descaling Detachable Shower Head
- Turn off the water supply and remove the shower head from the pipe by loosening it using a wrench. Wrap a cloth around the area of shower head where you have to use the wrench, to protect it from scratch.
- Prepare a cleaning solution, by mixing equal parts of vinegar and water, in a container and submerge the shower head in it. Ensure that the shower head is completely immersed in the solution.
- Keep the shower head in the solution for about three hours. You can keep it overnight, if the lime scale deposit is too heavy.
- Remove the shower head from the vinegar solution and rinse it in running water. If any lime scale deposits are left behind on the hole of the shower head, remove them using a tooth pick. Scrub the surfaces using an old tooth brush and remove all residues of the lime scale.
- Now re-assemble the clean shower head on the shower arm, after wrapping Teflon tape on the pipe thread to make it water-tight.
- Test the water flow and if you are not satisfied, repeat the cleaning process, by increasing the vinegar content slightly.
Descaling Wall-mounted Shower Head
- Prepare a vinegar water solution by mixing one part of vinegar and one part of water and fill it in a strong plastic bag having no leakage. Ensure that the quantity of the cleaning solution is sufficient to submerge the nozzles of the shower head.
- Wrap a strong rubber band around the top of the bag. Attach the bag tightly around the shower head, ensuring that the shower head is completely submerged in the vinegar solution. Tighten the top portion of the bag to the shower arm using the rubber band or using a twine, as per your convenience.
- Let the shower head soak for three hours or overnight, depending upon the thickness of the lime scale deposit.
- Remove the bag containing the cleaning solution from the shower head and run the water to test the flow.
- Using tooth brush and toothpicks, remove any lime scale residue from the surface and the holes of the shower head.
The above cleaning methods will definitely help you to clean your shower head and keep it free from lime scale deposits. For best results, you have to clean your shower heads at least once in six months or depending on the hardness of the water you are using.